In August, we celebrated 25 years of the internet! On August 23, 1991, computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee designed and launched the World Wide Web for everyone, everywhere to access. (Berners-Lee considers March 12, 1989—the day he first proposed the idea to CERN—to be the real birthday of the internet. We like to celebrate the internet every day!).
This got our team thinking about how the internet has changed our lives. The internet makes it possible to do things quicker and simpler than we could in "Before Internet" (BI) days ... think of online banking, hotel bookings ... and it makes it possible to do new things we could have never done before, but that we can now take for granted. There are companies and jobs and opportunities that exist today because of the internet. To celebrate the internet's anniversary, our Be Brilliant! team created a list of 25 reasons why we love the World Wide Web!
- Finding love, I met my wife online.
- Keeping up with family and friends around the world through Facebook.
- Developing new knowledge and skills through online training sites.
- Sharing ideas and discussing trends with colleagues on Linkedin.
- Staying up to date on all things Star Wars.
- Finding all the hotspots when traveling, thanks to Yelp!
- Being able to share my opinions on any company’s customer service through online reviews and social networks.
8. Geeking out on any subject and falling deep into the rabbit hole of history, science, health, travel, politics, math, trivia, and more.
9. Getting my movie and retro TV show fix any time.
10. Discovering new opportunities for business growth and solutions to work smarter.
12. Answering the question: What’s for dinner?
13.Collaborating with colleagues and working with clients where ever business takes us or them.
14. Getting weather updates! Very important here in Southwest Florida.
15. Discovering delicious eats and breweries when exploring a new city.
16. I can diagnose myself with a condition without ever going to the doctor.
17. Because I never have to get lost thanks to GPS.
18. I can go shopping without leaving the house.
19. Researching places, businesses, people, things to do, travel destinations, blogs, recipes, workouts…you name it!
20. Getting the world's top news in an instant.
21. Being able to organize all my creative thoughts, ideas, and inspirations on Pinterest.
22. Browsing online reviews while shopping so I know what makeup to buy.
23. Downloading songs quickly.
24. Googling all of my random burning questions.
25. Watching endless hours of entertainment on YouTube.
What do you love about the Internet? How does it make your life better?
Be Brilliant!® | Be Brilliant!® Marketing is a branding and marketing agency based in Fort Myers, Florida. Our work and experience has taken us around the globe, working for clients ranging from local entrepreneurs to global, Fortune 100 companies. If you’re on Facebook, be sure to Like our page. Follow us on Twitter @BeBrilliantMktg.
® Registered Trademark of Brilliant Lens LLC