"OMG! I can't believe someone just said $@&! on my Facebook Business page!"
Has this happened to you? Hopefully, it hasn't. But if you haven't set up page moderation on your Facebook Business page, it's bound to happen, and you won't be happy when it does.
Recently, while in discussions with a prospective client, it happened to them. Someone went full-tilt potty mouth on their Facebook Business page. The reasons and details are not important. What is important is that this company suddenly and shockingly discovered just how important the Facebook Page Moderation and Profanity Filter settings are to their business page.
It's About Being Pre-Emptive!
We are often surprised that many businesses have not set up this important tool. It's one of our favorite features for Facebook pages, and one of the first things we set up when we take on the management of a client's Facebook Business page.
It can do more for your page than simply filtering dirty words. For example, you can pre-emptively filter out mentions of your competitors, former grudge-bearing employees, or pretty much anything you don't want appearing on your page. However, the true beauty of this tool is that the person who is being censored will have no idea that their comments have automatically been hidden by your page. When they look at the page, they will still see their comment, but the rest of the universe will be none the wiser*.
It's the world we live in, 'trolls' are a thing!
It's unfortunate, but we live in a world where 'trolls' are no longer fantasy creatures. They are out there, lurking around the internet, waiting for opportunities to spread their negativity. If your Facebook Business page falls prey to one of these trolls, you will be faced with the following dilemma:
- Do you delete the comment and risk agitating the original poster?
- Do you ban them and then worry that they will return using a fake account, or invite their troll army friends to wreak havoc on your page?
- Or, do you simply take the steps needed to set up your Facebook Business page, so you never need to worry about this type of behavior.
We think the answer is pretty clear.
Make sure All your bases are covered!
Now, you may be aware that Facebook has its own, built-in, profanity countermeasures. The problem is that Facebook does not share their list. I'm sure it's comprehensive enough, but quite frankly, I prefer to know that I've covered all the bases.
That's why we have consolidated a large number of profanity lists into one master document: The Be Brilliant! Facebook Page Moderation List, a list of 1,272 naughty words you never want to see on your Facebook Page. It's a free download, just click on the graphic, and it's yours, it's our gift to you. Use it on your Facebook page, or any where else you may want to use it.
HOW TO SET UP THE BE BRILLIANT! FACEBOOK PAGE MODERATION LIST ON YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE
To install this list on your Facebook page, follow these simple instructions:
- Download The Be Brilliant Facebook Page Moderation List.
- Open the list in MS Word or your text editor and copy the entire list.
- Go to your Facebook Page. You must have admin access to install this list.
- Go to your Facebook Page Settings.
- In Settings, find 'Page Moderation' and click EDIT.
- Click in the dialog box that appears, and PASTE the list.
- Click SAVE CHANGES
- You're done!
- BONUS: Just below the Page Moderation section, you will see the Facebook Profanity Filter, we suggest you activate this as well. You can never be too safe.
Please feel free to share our profanity list with anyone you like. All we ask is that you credit us when you do, and do not alter the document we provide. If you have words you would like us to add to this list, feel free to email us and let us know!
As mentioned before, you can add to our list any words that you do not want appearing on your Facebook page. Any comments containing the offending phrase will be hidden from the public. The original poster won't even know you've hidden their comment. If you still want to ban them from your page, you can make that call. There is always a chance that, if they are clever and determined enough, they may find a way to get under your skin without using bad language. Just remember to keep your cool, don't get drawn in, don't fuel the fire, and remove unwanted pests if you need to.
* In some cases, the original posters' friends may still be able to see their offensive comment and they may be able to comment on it. Our advice, keep an eye on what people are saying on your page so you can manage these situations promptly.
Bryon McCartney is the Chief Idea Guy and a managing partner at Be Brilliant! Marketing, a branding, marketing, and social media agency offering targeted marketing solutions for local, regional and national businesses. Bryon's work and experience have taken him around the globe, working with clients ranging from local entrepreneurs to global, Fortune 100 companies. Follow him on Twitter @BrilliantBryon or connect with him on LinkedIn.