Every business has a story of how they got started to where they are today, just like every person does. Crafting those stories for your business can be done in so many ways that go beyond just facts or figures. We think of it this way: "Facts tell, stories sell."
When you tell your business story to potential customers, or when you are out networking, sharing your unique story gets to the heart of doing business in a way that will set you apart from your competition. Here are some of our favorite tips to help you Be a storyteller!
5 Ways to make Your Story Brilliant!
1. Be! Powerful. Make the sum of your story bigger than the parts. You are not just telling your story to tell a story. You are telling your story with a purpose in mind: You want people to believe in you. It should all add up into one powerful message.
2. Be! Inclusive. Add to your words by talking to your employees, board members or anyone invested in your story. Reach out to a current customer that was exceptionally pleased with your service or product. Use their stories to paint a more multidimensional picture of how you and your brand are different than others.
3. Be! Clear. Think back to when you started with the company. What inspired you to work for that company? What key motivators have brought you to where you are today? Chronological clarity will help people understand and appreciate your story.
4. Be! Philosophical. Your story is more than dates. Go deeper than what and when with your story. Talk about why and how. People want to know who you are and what you stand for. Your passion, tone and the words you use will bring out the uniqueness of you and your company.
5. Be! Thorough. Tap into the events that created who you are and what you do. Use unique details incorporating all five senses to make your stories come alive.
What Not To Do
· Don’t try to be someone you’re not. Be sincere and authentic.
· Don’t preach. Be friendly, professional, and have an approachable tone.
· Don’t take on the competition. Be proud of your story.
· Don’t sell. Be engaging, and make connections.
· Don’t use buzz words or jargon. Be conversational, show your personality.
· Don’t make things up. Be factual and real, use your emotions to make it interesting.
Your Story belongs to You and You Alone
Take control of your story. Use your story as the foundation for your business marketing. Your story is who you are; it’s at the heart of what you do, how you do it, and why you do it. It’s key to your success.
Ready to tell your story? We can work with you to find the right words. Let’s start the conversation today.
Be Brilliant!® | Be Brilliant!® Marketing is a branding and marketing agency based in Fort Myers, Florida. Our work and experience has taken us around the globe, working for clients ranging from local entrepreneurs to global, Fortune 100 companies. If you’re on Facebook, be sure to Like our page. Follow us on Twitter @BeBrilliantMktg.
® Registered Trademark of Brilliant Lens LLC